MORE EU-IMO TALKS
SHIP emissions headed a list of topics discussed at at meeting between IMO Secretary-General Efthimios Mitropoulos and the EU's top transport bureaucrat, European Commission vice-president and commissioner for transport, Jacques Barrot, last Friday, 14 March.
The meeting was the fourth between the two following previous regular meetings held alternately in London and Brussels since February 2005.
As well as ship emissions the controversial subject of European Community observer status and participation in IMO was discussed. Brussels officials are determined to take more control over the representation of of EU members countries at IMO, despite the opposition of several major EU states.
The Commission's Third Maritime Safety Package and EU/IMO technical co-operation ? especially an SAR programme in Africa were also on the agenda.
An IMO statement says: ?On the question of EU's participation at IMO, Mr. Barrot informed the Secretary-General of the contemplated request to change the observer status the European Commission enjoys at present to observer status for the European Community. Mr. Mitropoulos responded that the matter should be referred to the IMO Council for consideration and appropriate decision.?
In addition it says: ?Mr Mitropoulos briefed Mr. Barrot on work progressing within the Organization: (a) towards having amendments to the MARPOL Annex VI (Prevention of air pollution from ships) approved by the forthcoming session (31 March to 4 April) of the MEPC and then adopted at the Committee's session in October; and (b) towards implementing the Action Plan on Greenhouse Gas Emissions, possibly bringing forward some deadlines to expedite the Organization's contribution to worldwide efforts in preparation for the Copenhagen Conference in December 2009.?
- Ferry Loading Ramp Accident Leaves Driver With Serious Injuries
- Germany Says Nord Stream 2 Picked a Ship to Finish Pipeline
- Soren Toft, Former Maersk Executive, Takes the Helm at MSC
- Two Seriously Injured in Lifeboat Drill Accident in Vancouver -Report
- Logistics giant DSV charters three MPPs amid super tight slot availability to launch Denmark – China route
- Massive Cargo Loss: Estimated 1,900 Containers Lost or Damaged on ONE Apus
- World’s 1st zero-emission container vessel, Yara Birkeland, delivered
- Russia’s newest corvette conducts the first launch of cruise missile off Pacific coast
- Fincantieri Reveals Plans for Major New Shipyard in Yucatan, Mexico
- Korean Trade Commission Fines GTT Over LNG Licensing and Sales Tactics
- Map details rising incidents of crew abandonment
- Jeff Bezos urged by shipping bodies to support stranded seafarers
- UAE announces discovery of new oil reserves
- Endesa to Convert Algeciras Coal Terminal into LNG Bunkering Pier
- MOL Tests First Technology to Capture Microplastics in Ballast Water
More EU - IMO talks
MORE EU-IMO TALKS
- Philippine Coast Guard Takes Possession Of “Gabriela Silang”
- Carnival Cruise Line Names Newest Vista-Class Ship
- Simorgh drone joining Iran’s Navy