Natchan World set for sea trials
The newest 112 meter Incat vessel, Natchan World, destined for service with Japanese operator Higashinihon Ferry, is currently undergoing final touches at Incat's Prince of Wales shipyard in Hobart, Tasmania, prior to beginning sea trials on April 3.
Already the four MAN 20V 28/33D diesel engines, each rated 9,000 kW at 1,000 rpm, have been started for the first time and the vessel is now completing a series of tests in readiness for sea.
Incat says the MAN 20V 28/33D offers a low weight when compared to other engines in its class and that he advantages of engine durability, efficiency, low noise and low maintenance costs make it the engine of choice for Incat vessels, with impressive fuel consumption, burning less kg per cargo tonne per hour than any other high speed catamaran.
The latest combustion chamber technology with electronically controlled pump pipe injection system and optimized cylinder pressures, reduces specific fuel consumption to <190 g/kwh. at almost a 7 percent reduction per kwh over the previous generation of medium speed diesel engines this represents a massive saving on annual fuel bills.
The vessel is also environmentally compliant with low NOx of <10 g/kwh.
The ferry is fitted with four of the largest transmissions from ZF Marine GmbH, the ZF 60000 NR2H, each with maximum rated power of 12,387 kW. Special technical solutions were required to satisfy the engine room layout and the demand for the highest reliability. The transmission had to be matched to the interface provided and the ZF solution was an excellent compromise with low weight and small dimensions.
Engine power is converted to propulsion thrust through a new design of waterjet from Wärtsilä. The new LJX waterjet offers, in comparison with other waterjets available today, a 25 percent reduction in mounting flange diameter, a 10 percent overall weight reduction and a 35 percent increase in cavitation margin. It comes with a 1500 mm diameter impeller and an inboard layout for steering and reversing hydraulics.
A substantial weight saving has been achieved through the use of Centa carbon-fiber shafts. Some 70 percent of weight has been saved compared to that in the use of conventional steel shafts.
Securing reliable and economical power generation on board are four MAN D2876 LE301/HCM 534C 360 kW alternators.
Early on Thursday, April 3, Natchan World is scheduled to make its first departure from the wharf at Prince of Wales Bay before passing under Hobart's Tasman Bridge after the city's morning rush hour.
The ship will return to the Incat yard for final adjustments to be made during Friday.
On the morning of Saturday 5 April the Natchan World is planned to depart at around 9 am and will head down the River to Storm Bay for a series of sea trials. It is anticipated the ship will return to the city late that afternoon.
On Sunday 6 April, the ferry is scheduled to sail again for further sea trials, after which it will return to the shipyard in preparation for a naming and completion celebration on Tuesday 8April.
Hull 065 Principal particulars
Length overall: 112.60 m
Beam (molded): 30.50 m
Draft: approximately 3.93 m
Speed: 40 knots
Fuel consumption: 190 g/kwh
Deadweight: Up to 1,450 tonnes
Total persons: 800 persons
Vehicle Deck: 450 truck-lane meters plus 193 cars or a total of 355 cars